Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Changing the major...

So, if you know me on a personal level (or any level for that matter) you are aware that I'm currently attending the University of Alaska in Anchorage. I'm creeping ever so slowly to my goal of obaining that damn bachelor's degree. I'm currently an Elementary Education major; reasons being I love children, I want to be influential to future generations and I know I'd be a damn good teacher. BUT- I've been thinking lately of changing my major to English Literature. What can you do with that degree? Good question. Bartend, I guess.

I've been pondering my future a lot as of late and I've come to realize that I am really just after the piece of paper that proves I graduated from college. In the long run, the piece of paper isn't going to matter and I won't be taking it with me where ever I end up after I die. It will be the most expensive piece of paper I've ever laid hands on, but so-help-me it will be mine!

I don't want to be married to a career, I just want to wander for the next 10+ years. If I do decide to settle down somewhere, I'd still like to teach (high school English). I've chosen this subject to study because looking back on my childhood and teenage years, I loved to read and write! I have gotten away from writing and I am sad about it. Same could be said with me and music. But I was always a better writer than I was a musician. I'm changing my major and going down a different road so that I may hone my writing skills and appreciate the great works of others. Hopefully, 3 of my teachers will be proud; My 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. King (I use to always leave short stories on her desk); my 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Pickett (loved one of my poems so much she still uses it in her lessons); and my 8th grade teacher Mrs. Lavender (poor thing had to read the longest stories and poems ever scribbled). Thanks, Mrs. Lavender, for the inscription in the back of my yearbook wishing me luck with my writing career; though I never expressed wanting to have one.

All that said, I know it has nothing to do with Alaska. After all, this little blog is suppose to be my account of what I see and experience up here. Right now (this minute), that is nothing. Perhaps tomorrow I will report back with details of the snowboarding adventure we're going on!

I hope whoever is reading this has a lovely night.

No comments:

Post a Comment